Thursday, August 15, 2013

DIY Microwavable Meals

As college students, we're often too busy to cook healthy meals.  I save time and money by making my own frozen meals. Commercial microwavable meals have way too much sodium and preservatives, not to mention they're not exactly easy on the wallet! ;( By making your own meals, you can have it all-- convenience, healthiness, and cost-efficiency.

On the weekends, I cook a large batch of food. After it cools, I split it into separate portions in microwave and freezer-safe containers. The food can store up to a month in the freezer (possibly longer, but I always finish everything before then). Whenever I'm pressed for time or feeling lazy, I just pop a container into the microwave and enjoy my meal. :)



I usually freeze fried rice, steamed vegetables, or thick soups such as butternut squash soup. The possibilities are endless! Basically anything that isn't too watery or crunchy (eg. chicken noodle soup, lettuce, tortilla chips) will make a good microwavable meal.




Freezer-friendly foods:
  • Pasta
  • Lasagna
  • Chicken fillet 
  • Fish fillet 
  • Spaghetti sauce
  • Meatballs
  • Broccoli
  • Carrots
  • Mushrooms
  • Peas
  • Corn
  • Steak
  • Potatoes
You can pair your frozen meal with other dishes for more variety. It's also a good way to stock up on home-cooked foods when visiting family. You can enjoy a little piece of home throughout the school year. (:

   
        Stay healthy,



No comments:

Post a Comment